Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Green Smoothie Goodness

Green smoothies have been popping up all over Pinterest and blogland for a while now, but I thought I'd just throw this one out there with the rest of them.  Better late than never, right?

If you're still on the fence about the green smoothie trend, just jump in and try it!  Seriously, if you don't like it, at least you can use the leftover ingredients to make a killer salad.  Win-win, right?  For the record, totally just typed "win-wine" at first.  Freudian slip?


What you're going to need:
- One sliced and frozen banana (I like to buy a bunch and come home and slice them up and freeze them in plastic bags so I have them ready to go)
- 5-6 chunks of pineapple (Do I even need to tell you to use fresh pineapple and stay away from that canned crap?  No, I didn't think so.)
- Generous handful of baby spinach leaves
- 2 to 3 coconut milk ice cubes
- 1/2 to 1 c. coconut milk (adjust to get a consistency you like)
- Small handful of UNSALTED, roasted almonds.  Don't use the salted ones.  Just... don't.

When blending, I've found that putting the spinach on the bottom of the blender and layering on the fresh ingredients and topping off with the frozen works out the best.

I love this smoothie as a post-workout or midday snack.  So light and refreshing, and the pineapple masks any grassiness from the spinach.


And yes, I drink my smoothies out of a beer glass.  In fact, that is my exclusive smoothie glass.  I won't use any other.  No, I am not a weirdo (okay maybe I am), the glass has a convenient half pint line which makes measuring out liquid easy.  And I can just pretend I'm drinking my favorite Double Chocolate Stout while downing green drank.

2 comments:

  1. Green smoothies are my favorite! So delicious and FULL of great things for your body. I put almonds in mine, too...everyone thinks I'm weird!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut milk ice cubes? Awesome! This is the yummiest sounding green smoothie recipe I have seen yet.

    Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

    ReplyDelete